Population Growth

Player discussions

Moderator: Tregonsee

Re: Population Growth

Postby Blackwill » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:40 am

Um...never mind. Let's just keep it the way it is.
Blackwill

Postby CHARON EMPIRE » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:20 pm

I think bio's should have auto pop growth each turn at no cost. Even if I don't get marine growth, it means more bio's to harvest!
CHARON EMPIRE

Postby Blackwill » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:36 am

Best to let the High Harvest Church do all of the harvesting. Population units will fare better doing the Prime's good work on one of our luxurious Paradise Colonies, than slaving away in some Glitch's chromium mine.

Cardinal Blackwill
Pontiff-Elect, The High Harvest Church.
Blackwill

Postby Knights Of Rancor » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:47 am

BEGIN TRANSMISSION:

I'm once again revisiting this issue, I think it is too important to just die out.

I really liked the point made about auto pop builds corresponding with planet size to help bios cut the number of turns it takes to max POP on a planet.

by Tregonsee » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:04 pm

If nothing else, POP growth should be more like MU recruiting- you get more from larger planets. It takes 7 turns to max out a size 1 planet with an AG center, but it takes 59(!) turns to do the same thing for a size 9 planet. That is way too much. Maybe something like you can do 2% of capacity (rounded up) for no AG center and 5% with an AG center. This would make it 20 turns to fill up a size 9 planet. Still takes a while, but at least it is doable...

I also liked the idea of getting that extra pop auto build if an ag corp is present, nice touch (and a better incentive to have ag corps.)
and maybe having a minimum seed number of pop on a planet before auto growth kicks in could be used like the minimum number of pop needed before you can retool.

But pop Auto growth should be only for CT, HW, TW, PT, PH, and not UT, CW, AC, or RW (if they are still in the game) but the build POP action should be kept in the game as is.

Auto tax, yes! great idea (especially for new players) with the ability to tack on an additional tax (with the existing tax action and it's drawbacks) funding early in the game is tedeus and takes for ever this would speed things up and maintain interest. exploring takes long enough getting income to move faster would help.

ANY WORD ON THIS RANDY OR THOM? or should I just drop this subject

And yes the other games I play are free (sort of) they infuse the ability to purchase items above the free limits or to accelerate growth with real money. you buy Gold, Diamonds, Coins, Gems, Tec Manuals, or Rocks, what ever they want to call them, from the game company. Then spend those items on them or upgrades (they generally have some way to earn those items in the game, but very hard to come by that way), we call those players coiners, they basically buy their way to the top (that's how the on line games make their money) I don't coin I prefer skill over coining. but those companies don't have a fee to pay to play they rely on coiners.

END TRANSMISSION:

The Knights Of Rancor have been reactivated and on the move and the constant broadcast on all known com channels fills the vast darkness of space of the Estra Galaxy once again ........

"Who cares if the Bios' hate they are all to be exterminated. The Galaxy must be cleansed!"

From the C.C.C. (Collective's Central Core) of the KNIGHTS OF RANCOR (KoR)
Knights Of Rancor

Postby Tregonsee » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:55 pm

I agree to most if not all above.
Tregonsee

Postby Thom » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:11 pm

On the three points, POP builds, auto POP growth and auto Tax.

First POP Builds. I think I've addressed this problem before but here goes again. In the last game was when we reduced the POP builds to one per planet per turn, or two with an ag center. Previously the POP on a planet could be increased by a factor of about 7.5%, or 15% with an Ag Center. The problem was a size 9 planet with 100 POP and an Ag Center could pump out 15 POP per action, as there was no limit on the number of actions you could build POP on the same planet back then either. The player would build 15, load 15 on a fleet, build 15 more, load 15 more on the fleet, repeating as many times as needed. Then after they got as many as they wanted they moved the fleet to a pre-designated planet that a cyber controlled and dropped them off. Cyber executed them for a large RU payout. Rinse, repeat. First we limited the builds to 1 per action, or 2 with an ag center, but that didn't seem to slow down the factories as it just took more actions to do the same thing. So we had to limit it to once per turn. Perhaps we could reinstate some kind of multiplier again but keep the once per turn rule to at least slow down the factories or maybe reduce the tendency to do that.

Second Auto POP builds. This would not be hard to implement as the program that generates the planet reports at the end of the turn could easily handle this. Randy and I have talked about this a long time ago but at that time we didn't have the planet report program so there was really no easy way. Maybe we could address that again. I'll bring it up and see where it goes.

Third Auto Tax. This might be a bit more difficult to do but not impossible as we could again use the planet report program to generate the tax. However how to set what planets you wish to tax vs all of them would still have to have some kind of flag in the planet record so the code knows which ones to tax and which ones you don't want to tax. In other words taxing a planet with a large population but no marines is generally not such a good idea although maybe there could be some kind of default setting where you have to have X% of marines on the planet or it will not be taxed. Plus tax rates would have to be either universally standard, easy, or set in the planet record by the player per planet, not so easy due to the space limitations in the planet record, or as a rate per empire for all their planets, not too hard as there is a Tax Rate built into the econ record for each player from the old Governor rules. Interesting idea. Code would be a little challenging.

At any rate I'll bring it up again. Thanks for the notes.
Thom

Postby CHARON EMPIRE » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:26 pm

Speaking for the Charon Empire, I don't recall EVER moving pop to a world to just "cash in" on the bounty. Usually just smack some squishes' when a world is found. I do like the idea of bringing back the 7.5 percent to 15 percent pop builds once per turn. Or if your a bio just do this on an auto run sequence. Good perk for being a bio! But I think this should also apply to all the NPC worlds out there. Could use some more cargo, but the more pop on a planet, the harder it is to invade.

I also like the auto tax feature for any race UNDER tec 40. By the time your tec 40 you should have a good merchant trade going. I would like to have a separate turn for just merchant trade running, say 25 actions per player, if you use them or not.

CHARON EMPIRE
CHARON EMPIRE

Postby Blackwill » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:48 pm

I think the auto-pop build of one per planet per turn would be a good start....every planet with 4+ POP automatically increases by one per turn, with the OPTION to spend an action to raise it an additional 1, or 2 with an Ag Center. This would save a lot of actions manually building POP, which could be better utilized via exploration. The code would have to check Max pop size for each planet, and if it is under the Max, it auto builds 1 pop.

Auto-TAX is another great idea, especially at low levels, when non-action income is low. If we could set a default tax rate for each empire type, and the code auto-taxes that percent per planet at the end of each turn, it would generate needed non-action income. The TAX PLANET action code (51) could still be used to over-tax a planet if the need ever arose.

I also like the Trade Turn idea with a limited number of actions. Seems like it would make a lot of room for exploration and "expansion" actions....which might be good or bad depending on whether your are the one expanding, or the one being expanded....
Blackwill

Postby Thom » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:36 pm

CHARON EMPIRE wrote:Speaking for the Charon Empire, I don't recall EVER moving pop to a world to just "cash in" on the bounty.

Well it was quite common when a player had a second empire. Basically they couldn't really transfer funds to their cyber empire so providing POP for them to execute was the most efficient way. Was not always a player that owned two empires. Sometimes there were a few empires just dropping off POP on a cyber world. Randy spotted several players doing it last game very early in the game as they were players that had played in the previous games in the early to mid 90's and already knew the ropes. There were quite a few loopholes in the game that players exploited when Randy started it back up again.
Thom

Previous

Return to Takamo Player Discussion Forums