Troubleshooting archived - up to August 15, 2014

This topic thread is for any issues with turns that you are having, such as garbled printouts, etc. should be posted here. This will help us address problems and glitches with email, etc. We will also post suggestions here for fixes to specific issues.

This is not a gripe board, this is a troubleshooting board. Don’t just say “My turn didn’t work.” be as specific as possible. That way we can work together to fix the issue and make the game better for everyone.

Moderator: Tregonsee

Troubleshooting archived - up to August 15, 2014

Postby vemlich » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:48 pm

August 14, 2014 at 10:57 am #2535 EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY
R. Ritnour
R. Ritnour

Keymaster
(76.84.58.188)
We are having trouble getting WordPress to behave as far as postings and edits to the Player Fiction Forum. It appears that when an author first posts, it posts at the top of the forum, and that is what we want. However, if the author edits the forum, the document then posts somewhere in the middle of the stack. We have not been able to figure this one out. If anyone has some suggestions, please let us know.

August 10, 2014 at 5:14 pm #2523 EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY
Tregonsee - HMU (Heavy Moderator Unit)
Tregonsee – HMU (Heavy Moderator Unit)

Participant
(130.76.96.154)
When you first go to the forums, the different topics are in a jumbled order. Shouldn’t they be in order of most recent post in a topic, with the FAQ being sticky (always at top)?

August 10, 2014 at 5:23 pm #2524 EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY
R. Ritnour
R. Ritnour

Keymaster
(76.84.58.188)
We made a number of topics sticky according to importance, such as turn processing status, and questions and answers.

August 10, 2014 at 8:20 pm #2525 EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Participant
(130.76.96.154)
Yet after that, they are not necessarily in order by last post.

August 1, 2014 at 8:07 pm #2403 EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY
Soelien-Twa
Soelien-Twa

Participant
(173.180.129.16)
Just sent my Tramp Mining Fleet to two new asteroid belts (MP=4 each). Shows 40 Ore units available on each but only loads 4 on each (space for hundreds of Ore Units available on the fleet). I did not specify to load 40 but as per previous discussions this should have autoloaded all available if number was not specified. This made a difference of just over 4300 RUs lost on the turn. As this is the second time tramp mining issues have cropped up for me on initial runs must be a bug rather than a one off. So far it has only occurred on Turn 2 and Turn 14. Other turns with the same tramp mining fleet mining new worlds with no units specified has turned out as expected(no problems).
I’m at james_mackinlay@hotmail.com if there are questions.

Thanks

August 4, 2014 at 11:49 am #2434 EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY
Soelien-Twa
Soelien-Twa

Participant
(173.180.129.16)
I guess I should have said these are slightly different issues. Turn 2 was no Ore available, Turn 14 showed ore available but only 10% collected. As an easy “fix” for the 2nd problem maybe make the Spc# mandatory on action code 15

August 4, 2014 at 1:27 pm #2436 EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Thom

Participant
(208.82.105.50)
Sorry for the problem. Unfortunately the way the code was originally written to work is the amount of tramp mining cargo you could load on a planet was determined by the empty ships on your fleet. For instance if you had room for 100 cargo the fleet would go to a planet and try an load 100 cargo. There was no special number to put in to limit the take. This likely strip mined the planet and made it useless afterwards. Players complained that they had to have many fleets with exactly the right amount of room in the ships to mine each planet successfully without strip mining it making it a nightmare to keep straight. So I rewrote the code to give the players a choice on whether they wanted to strip mine by putting a cargo load number in the special number space. If they didn’t then the code defaulted to the mining potential of the world so a player wouldn’t just load zero cargo. Since the planet tells you how much cargo you can load the next time you can put that number in the slot and away you go. However I’ll see what I can do about making the default be the potentially highest amount of cargo the planet can be mined for without strip mining it if no number is put in the special number slot for playability purposes. Give it a week or two though as I may not get to it this week.

July 31, 2014 at 10:39 am #2387 EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY
Soelien-Twa
Soelien-Twa

Participant
(173.180.129.16)
I have noticed that some forum postings are not necessarily coming up in chronological order. New postings should be coming out on the bottom of the thread and are often showing up three entries up from the bottom such as the Q&A I just posted. Have also noticed it on the Fiction

July 31, 2014 at 9:35 pm #2392 EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Merchetti

Participant
(166.137.156.26)
See reply

July 31, 2014 at 11:07 am #2388 EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY
R. Ritnour
R. Ritnour

Keymaster
(216.229.4.46)
Thanks for mentioning this. I had noticed it and the somethin glittery came along and I forgot all about it. I have sent in a request to our website tech ( the ubiquitous and omnipotent Vanessa. )

July 31, 2014 at 9:34 pm #2391 EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Merchetti

Participant
(166.137.156.26)
I was under the impression this was they were enter as replies to that previous entry.

August 1, 2014 at 5:42 pm #2400 EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY
Soelien-Twa
Soelien-Twa

Participant
(173.180.129.16)
Replies to previous entries should go below the entry they are replying to. I have not noticed any problems with this. Some new entrys are not being posted chronologically. Not all, just some. Thus the troubleshooting needed.

July 23, 2014 at 7:54 pm #2342 EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY
R. Ritnour
R. Ritnour

Keymaster
(76.84.58.188)
Recruit a friend adjusted. Thanks for letting us know!

July 23, 2014 at 4:04 pm #2328 EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Participant
(68.97.253.185)
What happened to yesterday’s Threshold blog?

July 23, 2014 at 4:25 pm #2329 EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY
R. Ritnour
R. Ritnour

Keymaster
(76.84.58.188)
I checked. It is there. Are you having trouble with it?

July 23, 2014 at 5:21 pm #2332 EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Participant
(68.97.253.185)
There was no link on the side of the forums under the Threshold list stating there was a new blog, so I thought it did not exist. Also you need to change your Recruit-a-Friend Program rewards. FOr the 8th friend you cannot have a Nomad assault transport (unless you are a Nomad) both on the post and in the FAQ.

July 18, 2014 at 3:48 am #2287 EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

crashfourit

Participant
(75.88.40.16)
On my last term, action results are printed twice.

July 18, 2014 at 3:21 pm #2290 EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY
R. Ritnour
R. Ritnour

Keymaster
(76.84.58.188)
Sorry. Operator error. If you lost any RUs or had anything bad happen, please contact us at pbem@takamouniverse.com for correction.

July 14, 2014 at 12:02 am #2246 EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY
The Company
The Company

Participant
(50.55.179.32)
Thanks Thom. I left out that I didn’t use all 50 slots..that is an important piece of info. I went back and see what happened. When you insert it moves that line down….BUT DOESN’T renumber any of the lines! Lesson learned.

July 13, 2014 at 9:55 am #2234 EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY
The Company
The Company

Participant
(50.55.210.96)
I had an issue with the “insert” button on the turn input. I forgot to do a few things that needed to be done early so I tried the insert button and sure enough the screen reloads with that line now blank and I assumed it just bumped all my moves one slot lower. When I reviewed my turn results I had double action attempts on those action lines. By this I mean it says: Action 16….shipyard builds blah blah(This was my original order for line 16.), then it says I tried to blah blah but the action failed(This was my inserted action.). So two action attempts for one action line. Not sure what the use of an “insert” button is if you are just overlapping orders on one line.

July 13, 2014 at 4:44 pm #2239 EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Thom

Participant
(216.229.12.21)
I’m not quite sure if you mean the page doubled the line you tried to add or the turn results you received showed that the same action ran twice. Basically the insert will clear one line, push every other action one slot down or higher in number, i.e. 22 becomes 23 for instance, and allow you to enter an action on the blank line becoming action 22. Go back and load your turn into the page again and see if the turn looks right. You should have actions 1-50, no doubled numbers, and all your actions listed. There are no hidden lines. If you open your turn with notepad for instance you’ll see the same. Just don’t edit it in notepad as the tabs which you can’t see in notepad are important field separators and messing one up will mess up your turn. Really I’d take a closer look at the action you tried to insert and see if you can find an error there depending on what message you received from the turn results.

July 13, 2014 at 12:37 am #2231 EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY
Nazareth
Nazareth

Participant
(96.33.9.48)
Yep, have been getting garbled printouts for the last two weeks. Instead of getting the appropriate line information that I was receiving previously, the information runs together across the entire page and wraps around into the next line and on and on.

I was able to open it with internet explorer, (instead of notepad) choose smaller text and print the page and get it similar to what I was getting before.

July 13, 2014 at 3:48 am #2232 EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY
R. Ritnour
R. Ritnour

Keymaster
(76.84.58.188)
I think that we have that one figured out. We started using a streamlined system that employed MS Outlook for turn receipt and results. Turns out that Outlook doesn’t play well with some other email systems. a lot of players didn’t get their turns and you and at least one other player got run together turn results. We will go back to the old system immediately. Please let us know if that fixes the problem.

July 12, 2014 at 9:26 pm #2228 EDIT | CLOSE | UNSTICK | MERGE | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY
R. Ritnour
R. Ritnour

Keymaster
(76.84.58.188)
This topic thread is for any issues with turns that you are having, such as garbled printouts, etc. should be posted here. This will help us address problems and glitches with email, etc. We will also post suggestions here for fixes to specific issues.

This is not a gripe board, this is a troubleshooting board. Don’t just say “My turn didn’t work.” be as specific as possible. That way we can work together to fix the issue and make the game better for everyone.

This topic was modified 1 month ago by .
vemlich
Site Admin

Return to Troubleshooting Board