Opinions on the 50 ship limit?

Submit your questions here.

Moderator: Tregonsee

Opinions on the 50 ship limit?

Postby R. Ritnour » Sat May 26, 2018 7:59 am

Now that it's been running for some months, does anyone want to share how their use of Fleets has changed?
R. Ritnour

Re: Opinions on the 50 ship limit?

Postby Tregonsee » Sat May 26, 2018 9:35 am

The combat power of Carrier fleets has been gutted. You used to be able to take on any fleet with enough fighters, even big million plus firepower ones. However, a 50 ship limit makes it so a maximum of 6500 fighters can be used at one time. At TL104, that is only 676000 firepower, not including what you have to do to put fighters on CAP.

Those who use large fleets of merchant ships, are also restricted.

I would prefer to have most fleets restricted to 50 ships, but allow a player to have 10 100-ship fleets (maybe hardwire it to fleets 1-10).
Tregonsee

Postby REPTIMALIEN » Sat May 26, 2018 1:40 pm

This my feelings having been the victim of ravenous attacks on my cityworlds. They are just fine. If I understand the code right you can have have massive fleets they just don't go anywhere.
So why not use them in for defense only. I dont want to see 13,000 fighters coming to attack my planets. But they can sit on deck and defend when somebody wants to try those attacks again.
REPTIMALIEN

Postby CHARON EMPIRE » Sat May 26, 2018 3:17 pm

Hey, we've compensated and adjusted our tactics to the 50 ship limit, you can still have invasion fleets with 15,000 marines and defensive firepower. 50 warships are more than adequate, you don't have to worry about losing a massive fleet due to a movement error, or another player. Carriers are good for offensive sweeps of systems, and the smaller fleets, you just need to hit it more than once, twice, thrice, etc....

Back to carriers, you can still have carrier to carrier combat, ask Kvizier and CHARON EMPIRE I lost half my carrier group to his errant commander, but at least it was only 25 ships. He also lost ALOT of fighters but no carriers that were reported destroyed. Again, you just need to strike more than once...

I would like to see captured documents back! Or how about scanning ancient civs for MONEY, CASH, or those hard earned RU's!!

CHARON EMPIRE
CHARON EMPIRE

Postby Thom » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:00 am

Yes, Charon and Kvizier carrier fleets have clashed several times since the fleets were limited to 50 ships. Carrier combat is just as deadly with 50 ships vs 50 ships as it would be with 500 ships vs 500 ships. Scale means nothing really. Where fighters are hampered in stellar clouds quite a bit they are not so in safe subsectors and their firepower is going to mess up a battle fleet if it catches one. Probably won't destroy a 50 ship Marauder fleet but it can hurt it badly. Many reasons for the change but so far its made the game a bit more sustainable for newer players.
Thom

Return to Questions & Answers