Introduce Yourself archived - up to August 15, 2014

C’mon, you know you want to… If you have played Takamo before, mention your previous race and interesting things about it. If you have never played Takamo, how did you find out about it? Plus add anything else you want

Moderator: Tregonsee

Introduce Yourself archived - up to August 15, 2014

Postby vemlich » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:46 pm

• July 26, 2014 at 8:49 pm#2374EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Merchetti
Participant
(74.236.177.130)
No comment.
• July 26, 2014 at 8:25 pm#2372EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Cestodial Hegemony
Participant
(72.146.42.145)
I am the Supreme Haggler for the Cestodial Hegemony.
You have problems, I offer solutions.
You have too many terraformed worlds and the endless headaches that go along with administering those worlds? My species does not have a head! Give me your unwanted terraformed worlds and lower your stress level.
Intergalactic IRS camped out on your doorstep because you did not pay your taxes? Give me your excess RUs. It will be difficult, but I will do my best to spend your money.
Ancient civs kicking your galactic heiny? My species does not have a heiny for ancients to kick. Send me the co-ordinates and relax.
I am here to help. Send me an email.
Contact bozimus@hotmail.com
• July 6, 2014 at 2:48 am#2147EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Cyvelius
Participant
(71.70.156.97)
*** Hailing frequencies open ***
Greetings, I’ve never played this game until just a few months ago. A friend introduced me to it. We played another PBEM called TribeNet, which has a bronze/iron age setting. I played that for about 15 years! This one I’ve been in Takamo for few month so far as yet another trader, but the galaxy is vast so the limitation of relative proximity may incline one to seek out the right trading partner.
I did also play a web-based game called Astro Empires, which seems like a bit of a rip-off of this game. Any one every here of that?
Homeworld on this planet is North Carolina, USA.
*** transmission ended ***
o July 6, 2014 at 3:03 pm#2148EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Soelien-Twa
Participant
(50.92.93.117)
I’ve played Astro Empires a couple of times. Great in the short term especially as soon as a universe opens up. Just becomes a number crunching game after that calculating the profit/loss of derb fields. Endless Space is a good one to try (though not a MMO game) It is based on the Masters of Orion 2 model. Hopefully Takamo Universe will pick up the best parts of Endless Space especially in the data representation of the different planets/systems.
• July 6, 2014 at 1:10 am#2144EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

The Company
Participant
(50.55.200.224)
Thanks for that awesome response Exeter! Yes I received my setup yesterday and have just started to look at it. As I said I am a miner with NO experience so I am in need of an alliance sooner rather than later. If anyone needs a miner in their group please contact me.
The Company
**theonealexander@gmail.com** With out the **’s
o July 6, 2014 at 3:14 pm#2149EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Soelien-Twa
Participant
(50.92.93.117)
Some advise from another miner. Don’t build a trade fleet (or at least not in the short to medium term). Use your tramp miners and mine planets and especially asteroid belts for cash. Asteroids will generate 10*MP ore units per turn(safely). Planets will generate 1*MP (safely). Your terraformed worlds will buy 80 Ore units per turn. So colonize all high MP worlds (10 or better) and asteroid belts and mine those on a regular basis. Once your tech level gets a lot better your trade ships will get bigger cargo capacitys, shields etc and it becomes more reasonable to develop a trade fleet as you will have a larger selection and better worlds to trade with. Use your actions exploring and colonizing.
• July 5, 2014 at 4:44 pm#2139EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Nazareth
Participant
(96.33.9.48)
Hard to compete with a large experienced group like that with a mixture of veterans and various civ types. Of course, if you aren’t an ICB (of the right habitat range), Pirate, or Nomad you need not apply. As big a galaxy as this is, you’d think there’d be plenty of room for everyone to expand.
On the other hand as a bio, I’m a little disturbed by the fact that others of our kind would even deal with cybers! A policy of competing against other bios, while encouraging cybers to join your alliance may benfit your alliance (short term at least), but can’t be the best for the bios as a species. This policy only plays into the Cybers hands. By pushing this ideology, you will force other bios to ally with cybers to the detriment of us all. Like a pet gone mad, they will eventually bite the hand that feeds them! Sooner or later.
****Exeter has laid out some very good information on getting started and maximizing your orders. Good stuff here for most of us.****
• July 4, 2014 at 8:21 pm#2138EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

exeter
Participant
(71.23.174.67)
You should be getting replies by Monday on your setup at the latest. I did mine on a Sunday, and got it on Monday if I remember correctly. (I would say you would have yours today or Saturday but the 4th may screw that up). But nothing really changed for me. I’m playing the same race, doing the same job, that I did back in the late 80′s. Back then we had about 15 people in an alliance that did VERY well.
I suggest you down load the rules set and print it out. Put it in a book so you can have it in your lap when you do your turns. READ it at least once. The rules are not complicated, but they take a bit of getting used too, especially if you never dealt with this kind of thing before. (Movement in 3D is especially fun but with the move calculator on the turn sheet lots of the excitement is taken out of it). If you have played Tribes of Crane or some other PBM or PBEM game you already have a feel for the way things will be going. This is NOT an MMO like they are now.
As you go up Tech levels and gain new ships/actions/rules either print them out or build yourself a data base or combine all them together (cut and paste) to put all the information in one place. DO NOT go hunting through every turn every week trying to find this action or that build code, etc. By the time you hit TL20 alone, you will have almost as many new rules, actions, builds as there were when you started. Some you will find fairly important; especially if you are a Corp of some sort.
You will have to be very careful in your first couple of turns to avoid messing up large groups of actions. Trading is the hardest thing too get right. If you do a long series of trades and mess up something early the entire series will probably be screwed and all the actions will be lost. (I have done it more than once). So be warned.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
My colony fleets have everything combined in them. My turn looks like this: Move/Scan (Action code 2)/ Colonize (AC 8)/ Install colony Base (AC 16)/ Build (AC 3) {Build Code 281} Always build 10, this will max out the planet and extras will be ignored by the computer/ unload fighters from freighters to planet (AC 76) usually do about 5 this is enough to form a trip wire defence and let me know when someone is sniffing around/ Unload POPs from starliners to planet (AC 105) I don’t do this with most colonies, as there is no purpose unless the colony is going to be trading and I have more than enough trading colonies already. (pulled my rule book out to check the Action Codes, see it is useful to have around).
The sequence your Terraformed worlds should read like this: Do the colony steps (AC 8), (AC 16), Terraform, Have an Ag Center Dropped (Unless its an unbelieveable distance away I can do it the next turn). Get a miner to do the Mining centers. Go mad with everything else. Getting the Ag center first gets you discounts on everything else built on the world. Especially when it comes time to build the POPs and marines. If you have an active Invasion/ Expansion policy going Ag Centers are absolutely vital. You just can’t sustain the actions otherwise.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You will want to find a group of people. Form an alliance and build from there. Get one of each of the corporations, as many ICBs in as many different ranges as you can find and explore the galaxy too death. That is the secret too success.
You can even get Cybers too join if you can get any that haven’t bought into the hype from Charon and others. There are so many, many, many more NPCs in the game than there were before that keeping the CYBERs fed and happy is easy in an alliance. We already have a list of NPC worlds about 200 planets long….
We couldn’t possibly bore a dozen cybers in a 1000 turns. (That’s a hint too all you mechanoid types that are looking for a REAL job).
As a matter of fact we still have openings for ICBs, Pirates, Nomads, and Cybers who want to be honest and friendly members of a good cooperative alliance that is working for the betterment of the whole. (Other positions are filled and we don’t want competition. Funny how most Ag and Trade centers aren’t real aggressive till you start messing with their profit margins).
Those interested in more information on our alliance contact Tregonsee here in the forums…
• July 4, 2014 at 7:20 pm#2137EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

exeter
Participant
(71.23.174.67)
This is for anyone interested. But specifically for Merchetti Merchants and Spacelords.
Need an Ag Center? I can also provide you with access to Miners, Smugglers, Traders and numerous ICBs in diverse ranges.
Always willing too serve. Discreet and fast. You have been talking quite a bit to Tregonsee; a member of our alliance, so you already know us well. We also have access to huge amounts of corporate knowledge of the galaxy at large and we can talk you through many of the pitfalls of Estra.
Ap Bac First Speaker
Apshain Federation
Charles Lewis
lewsgame@yahoo.com
• July 4, 2014 at 6:22 pm#2130EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Merchetti
Participant
(72.146.40.120)
How do you suggest we go about this? How are you doing on trade centers.
• July 4, 2014 at 2:14 pm#2126EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Nazareth
Participant
(96.33.9.48)
Greetings Merchetti,
As an Ag Civ, I’d be more than willing to supply you with all your ag center needs! If and when you’re ready give me a holler and I’ll take care of you. Welcome to the galaxy.
Nazareth
• July 4, 2014 at 3:26 am#2124EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Merchetti
Participant
(72.146.40.120)
hi I certain would like to get some ag centers
• July 4, 2014 at 3:24 am#2123EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Merchetti
Participant
(72.146.40.120)
hello goodluck when you get your send me a diplomatic message and perhaps we can find common ground
• July 3, 2014 at 3:19 pm#2118EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

The Company
Participant
(24.213.126.13)
Hey folks!
Never played Takama before but I used to play Tribes of Crane II for years. Somehow I found Suspense&Decision online magazine and saw the Takama stuff in there. I WANT TO PLAY! I have sent off the request but have not heard back yet. I know its a holiday week but I find myself checking my email ever 20 minutes or so. I think I tried to join the old game as a Miner called The Company. …..still waiting….:/ Once I get my set up I will post and be on the search for allies.
• July 3, 2014 at 2:09 am#2109EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Merchetti
Participant
(72.146.40.120)
William Olson former Marine and La. Nat’l Guard. First time in takamo have play other play by mails.
Playing a playing a trader would look forward to working with ags miners and icbs
• June 15, 2014 at 4:08 pm#1916EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

ERCA Agricultural
Participant
(72.171.24.60)
I played back in the 90′s. I was an ICB, The Do’Urden empire. This time I’m an Ag Corp, ERCA Agricultural.
o June 15, 2014 at 4:43 pm#1919EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Tregonsee – HMU (Heavy Moderator Unit)
Participant
(130.76.32.49)
Why did you decide to change to an AG Corp?
 June 16, 2014 at 3:53 am#1941EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

ERCA Agricultural
Participant
(72.171.24.61)
I just wanted to try something different and I thought it might something that was in demand.
• June 15, 2014 at 12:57 am#1914EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

KNIGHTS OF RANCOR
Participant
(207.5.126.45)
I got started in the PBM just after or just before the first play test was over in early 1983 Lenny aka Gedi Knights got me started after the guys I played D&D started moving away. I was at the Advent Games office with Randy Bill and Dave the Morning the Challenger Blew up
At that time I was the Vorare-carnis Clones a mining corp. My best Ally was I-AM-I a cyber. I played for YEARS later I was lay out Editor for Threshold while still trying to play and Randy was Editor.
In the second coming the PBEM I played Knights Of Rancor a cyber and I’m Back!
WmPGuenther
“Who cares if the people hate they are all to be exterminated. The Galaxy must be cleansed!”
From the C.C.C. (Collective’s Central Core) of the KNIGHTS OF RANCOR
• June 8, 2014 at 5:27 pm#1861EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

exeter
Participant
(71.23.174.67)
Chuck Lewis
Apshain Federation Ag Corp
I was already a rabid Wargamer and role player long before this. Role playing friends got involved and needed an Ag center so they wrote me and said……
And I got addicted too. Back then I was in Germany, playing Estra, daily, by mail, with lllloooonnnnggggg mail turn around times. Sometimes it would be a month before I would see the results of a turn and there would be 20-40 turns going both ways in between at that time. It didn’t stop anything though.
Warning!! Warning! warning! Shameless plug!!!!!!
Ap Bac
First speaker
Apshain Federation
We are an Agricultural Corporation with a long and industrious history as on time deliverer of Ag centers in this galaxy. We were famous in the original Estra galaxy and intend to be as well here in this Galaxy.
Turn around times are often one turn and sometimes even faster. Come to us for all your Ag needs. I can even get you contact with Traders, Smugglers, Miners, and several Terraformers in divers hab ranges. Contact at lewsgame@yahoo.com.
o July 4, 2014 at 3:29 am#2125EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Merchetti
Participant
(72.146.40.120)
hello I am definitely interested in some ag centers and some terraforming.
• June 4, 2014 at 2:57 am#1786EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

thorchristensen
Participant
(173.79.132.146)
Matadors. Used too play in the pbm days. I am an icb this time with a 4,5 hab range. let me know if I can be of help.
• June 4, 2014 at 12:57 am#1781EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

arnla007
Participant
(174.24.105.120)
Tim Lajaunie
Played Takamo back in the 90′s in the Baxel galaxy as a smuggler. Wish I still had all my paperwork from that time as I don’t remember my races name. Anyway I’m playing a trader this time by the name of Kaydor Reins. Just call me a refined, reformed smuggler. Seriously if you need my services, just give me a shout out and I’ll get you those centers.
o June 4, 2014 at 1:16 am#1782EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Participant
(174.76.3.172)
Umm, are you a Trade Corp or an ICB? In playbymail.net you said you were an ICB…
 June 4, 2014 at 1:38 am#1783EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

arnla007
Participant
(174.24.105.120)
I am a Trader Corp. I changed right before my first turn ran. Sorry for the confusion
• June 2, 2014 at 11:48 am#1721EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Spacelord
Participant
(24.214.192.186)
Hey guys. Michael here. I have never played Tacamo before and only one other PBEM. I have played a lot of other games; computer, online, board games.
I have played through 7 turns so far and really like the game. I am pretty amazed at the level of detail in the planets, star systems, and sectors. I look forward to many turns of exploration and conquest!
o June 2, 2014 at 12:45 pm#1723EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Participant
(68.97.253.185)
So since you never played Takamo before, how did you hear about it?
 June 2, 2014 at 10:56 pm#1729EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Spacelord
Participant
(24.214.192.186)
I heard about it through another player here, Nazareth. He got me hooked on it. Now I spend way too much time trying to decide how to build an imaginary space empire!
 June 3, 2014 at 12:32 am#1751EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Participant
(174.76.3.172)
Well, good! Now tell your friends about it…
• June 1, 2014 at 8:22 pm#1718EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Participant
(130.76.32.51)
Steve Galpin
Played Takamo when it was a pbm in the 80′s – Duchy of Brunswick. I think I found out about it from a gaming friend who was also in the Air Force at the time…
Oklahoma, USA
Retired from the military USMCR/USAF/USN/USNR, total of 30 years and 8 months, retired as a Lieutenant Commander (O-4), same as Major.
• June 1, 2014 at 8:19 pm#1717EDIT | CLOSE | STICK (TO FRONT) | MERGE | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Participant
(130.76.32.51)
C’mon, you know you want to… If you have played Takamo before, mention your previous race and interesting things about it. If you have never played Takamo, how did you find out about it?
Plus add anything else you want
vemlich
Site Admin

Return to Introduce Yourself