Additional stars, planets and clouds

Player discussions

Moderator: Tregonsee

Additional stars, planets and clouds

Postby R. Ritnour » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:08 pm

I have started randomly adding new starsystems and stellar clouds to empty subsectors. These empty subsectors are in totally empty sectors. The bottom line is that, although it is likely that an empty sector you already scanned will remain the same, it is not guaranteed. I have no idea who has scanned a sector or if it has been scanned at all so you might want to start doing some extra sector probes to see if anything is different. I will be adding stars for several weeks if not months.

Have a great weekend!
R. Ritnour

Re: Additional stars, planets and clouds

Postby Tregonsee » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:38 pm

I really wish you had not done this. As an ICB, I rely on accurate maps. Having new stars and planets means that I should throw all of my maps away and start all over again. It almost makes me want to quit the game.

Steve Galpin
Tregonsee

Postby R. Ritnour » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:37 am

I am sorry if this has caused an uproar in the community. To be clear, NO POPULATED SUBSECTOR WILL HAVE ANYTHING ADDED TO THEM. Only currently empty sectors will have new stars and planets placed in them.

So, all of your current mapping and scans for populated subsectors remains valid.

You may want to send out new sector probes for sectors that you ticked off as completely empty, but the ratio of new stars going into the galaxy is so small that in most instances, you won't find anything new. You should not view this as a huge addition or change in the game landscape, because it is not.

However, this is a good opportunity to explore this issue. As you know, this galaxy is a testbed for Takamo Universe. We are currently developing a method for converting the galaxy to the Takamo Universe interface. It is still a long way off but Thom is about done with the old database coding that will allow Larry to finish the conversion on a copy of the current galaxy. That will not affect the current galaxy at all. It is simply a copy that we will be tinkering with.

Once all the bugs are worked out (that is probably 6 months to a year away) and we actually do convert the real galaxy, we would like to add a considerable number of planets and stars to it. My proposal is to increase the number of planets and stars significantly.

Let's have a constructive conversation about what you as players would like. Please don't just say this makes you want to quit or denounce it as ruining the game. This is your opportunity to help make the game better. So, don't panic or jump to conclusions. Let's brainstorm a little.

So, here are the questions I have for you to get this going:

1. In the converted galaxy what would be the advantages and disadvantages of new stars and planets in subsectors that you have already scanned?
2. In the converted galaxy, if additional stars and planets are introduced, where would you want them to be placed?
3. Would you prefer that the current number of stars and planets in the galaxy remain the same in the converted galaxy?
4. Do you want the galaxy to be converted at all? (That would mean that none of the new visual interfaces, stars, planets, and ships would ever be introduced to the old game. The current galaxy would go on as is and would never receive any additional updates.)
R. Ritnour

Postby Framis » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:31 am

To clarify, these added systems will only appear in sectors that had no "Safe" or "Stellar Cloud" subsectors, just "Rifts", "SN", and the like?
Framis

Postby Tregonsee » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:05 pm

What new visual interfaces, stars, planets, and ships would you introduce?
Tregonsee

Postby CHARON EMPIRE » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:57 pm

I like it!

But, I think it should go further. Sectors which you live in, that's right, you've already explored all those systems with NO stars, Novas, and Black Holes should also be tinkered with. Add as many planets, stars etc into void or NOST systems, this will increase the amount of terraformed worlds or ancient civs that players can use. Notice I said terraformed worlds, I think all new worlds should be terraformed, I'm not an ICB so I'd like planets which can be utilized. But that is me... After all it is a "new" galaxy and when transferred you should explore all around you to see what's new.

But, this shouldn't be done piece mill, do it ALL at once. That way when you do begin exploring, everything is updated and NO new additions, other than new player planets have been tinkered with.

I would also like to know when the addition of new planets is DONE, that way I know I need to NOW start my exploring.

CHARON EMPIRE
CHARON EMPIRE

Postby Knights Of Rancor » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:43 pm

I don't know if I like it or not, but Like Charon, I could go for more Terraformed NPC planets in the Galaxy. But really? I have 2745 Sectors probe reports in my Galactic Map, redoing even a portion of them I'm not too thrilled about. Out of those 2745 sectors 754 are known to have NO SAFE SYSTEMS (a safe star to orbit) in them.

WmP of the CCC in the KoR
Knights Of Rancor

Postby R. Ritnour » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:11 pm

Interfaces are still being built but I can tell you that on Saturday Development meetings we get to see the cool starsystems that our front end developer has been making. Planets orbiting stars, moons in orbit around planets and asteroid belts. It's pretty cool. You've seen some of the ships that will be in the player builds but you haven't seen all of them. The latest in production is a refinery ship.

As far as the addition of stars goes, I am adding them as I have time. I just can't do it all at once. It will take a few weeks but I will announce when I have finished. I don't have total control over the type of planets built. That is automated. I just get to tell the program how many to place in an area. The program does the rest.
R. Ritnour

Postby ImperiumLafayette » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:46 am

To be clear, NO POPULATED SUBSECTOR WILL HAVE ANYTHING ADDED TO THEM. Only currently empty sectors will have new stars and planets placed in them.

This is NOT clear. You said subsector, then said sector. It cannot be both. They mean totally different things. Which is it?

Pick one:

1.) Only currently empty SECTORS will have new stars and planets placed in them.

2.) Only currently empty SUBSECTORS will have new stars and planets placed in them.

Number 1 means we only have to re-probe sectors we have determined are "Deserts", i.e., No safe stars or stellar clouds.

Number 2 means we have to re-probe EVERY BLOODDY SECTOR.

WE are not happy...sharpen the ax...prepare the torches...oil up the rack!
ImperiumLafayette

Postby R. Ritnour » Wed May 01, 2019 6:57 am

Okay, so let's go over this AGAIN...

A SECTOR, even an EMPTY SECTOR, has SUBSECTORS in it. Are you with me so far? Good.

Ergo, when I state that only empty SECTORS will have new stars placed in them, that means I will be placing stars only in the SUBSECTORS of the...wait for it...empty SECTORS.

So put down your pitchfork or use it for a back-scratcher or do whatever you do with it when you are not stabbing things.
R. Ritnour

Next

Return to Takamo Player Discussion Forums