Action Code Check on the Input page

Helpful hints on playing the game.

Moderator: Tregonsee

Action Code Check on the Input page

Postby Thom » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:09 pm

Many of the turns every week are submitted with one or more lines that are not filled out correctly. This causes delays in processing the turns if the information in one of the boxes is wrong or missing and the program running that particular action code crashes. While I have added a fair amount of error checking to the module that processes the action codes not all errors are able to be filtered out. So the action code has to be corrected by hand. Sometimes guessing correctly what the player intended, often times it cannot be determined and so the action is deleted.

But there is a great tool to help you.

If you look at the input page you'll see a green button in the upper left with a Check Mark and the word Action Codes. Anytime you click on this button the page checks every action you entered and lets you know if you have missed filling out a box. Red box means its mandatory (in most cases) and Green means its optional. For instance when you build a ship but don't put in a name for the ship or a starting number for the ship box boxes turn green. However if you leave out a build code that box turns red.

Now can the action code check routine find everything. No. Fleet number that doesn't exist or a planet location that doesn't exist due to entering a wrong number is still possible. However the module running your turns is programmed to catch those errors.

The other reason I bring this up is because many players are clamoring for more actions each week. However crashes and delays fixing turns at the moment still make this rather unlikely. An actual run with all players at the moment takes about 20 minutes. But every stop requires about 10 minutes, minimum, of trying to figure out what the player intended. Multiply that by any errors on even a few players turns and you can see the time soon runs into hours not minutes.

Also even if you use a spreadsheet to do your turn, run it though the input page to check it. Plus save it after checking it and send the saved file to be processed even if you save your spreadsheet file as a backup. This insures the program loading your turn for the run can read 100% of the lines and actions.

Good gaming.
Thom

Re: Action Code Check on the Input page

Postby REPTIMALIEN » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:07 am

Thanks this has been working well for me. My only problem is the sneaky
Zero that hides behind O. This coordinate has caused some long usually final flights.
Any remedies for "0".
REPTIMALIEN

Return to Takamo Playing Tips